Friday, October 27, 2006

Nummy Risotto

Tonight's dinner was based on Shauna's (thanks for the inspiration, Shauna!) Bacon and Spinach Risotto. I was starving when I got home but wanted to set up my blog at the same time, so I fired up my Cuisinart Rice Cooker with a bunch of stuff and sat down at the puter to play.

Bacon, Spinach, Leek & Asiago Risotto

6 cups chicken stock
2 rice cooker cups arborio rice
2 leeks, chopped (I only used the bulb-leaves were a little pitiful from sitting in the fridge)
2 handfuls baby spinach
6 pieces of bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
Fresh garlic to taste
Olive oil

Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the rice cooker bowl and fire it up so the oil heats (give it 2 minutes or so). Add the rice and let it cook for a few minutes. While this was happening, I cooked the bacon on paper towels in the microwave (I am not big on bacon grease).

When you can smell the rice (the only way I can describe it - you'll start to smell it toasting), add the garlic - I pressed 3 good-sized cloves - and the leeks. Let that swim around with the rice for a minute or two. Then add the chicken stock and bacon and let it all work together per your rice cooker instructions.

When the rice has nearly soaked up all the stock, add the spinach and cheese. Stir all together and let sit for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.

I am not a big salt and pepper person, but if you are, add to your taste.

Pick out the cat hair and voila! Dinner.

No comments: