Friday, December 29, 2006

GF no-knead bread - revisited


Recently a little birdie put a bug in my ear about the no-knead bread recipe. So I took some of the bird's ideas, changed a couple of things on my end, and tried a loaf this way.

Here's what I did this time.

GF No-Knead Bread - Version 2

1 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup teff flour
1/2 cup tapoica starch
1/4 tsp yeast
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil.

Mix together the flours, yeast, sugar, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum. Add the water and oil; beat until well combined (I actually let my stand mixer run on low speed for about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once).

Pour into an ungreased bowl; cover and let rise for 2 hours (I used my bread proofing cycle for the 1st 30 minutes and then shut it off, leaving the bowl in the oven for the remaining time).

To bake the bread, heat the oven to 500 degrees. Once it comes to temperature, put your pot in it and let it heat for a half hour. Take the pot out, dump the dough in, cover, and bake for 30 minutes.

Note the fact that the bread in the picture is still in the pot. That's because IT STUCK. Damn it. I know better than to use a new pot! So until I get back from giving a flute lesson, that is where it will stay. So no taste test quite yet.

No comments: